My parents would like to set up a trust fund for our child’s care, including in-home care services. Will that make our child ineligible for MaineCare or other forms of assistance?

If a trust is not set up properly, yes, it can. However, under a properly created Special Needs Trust (SNT), NEHHC or other in-home services can be covered without jeopardizing other forms of public assistance. It’s important to consult a Maine attorney knowledgeable in such trusts. While we are not attorneys, New England Home Health Care works cooperatively with many trustees and trust attorneys to provide the level of care and documentation required by a given SNT.